Today I want to welcome Brenda Stinnett. I ask author’s to provide some trivia about their books and she has put together a wonderful post about the world her characters live in. Her book “THE KING”S VAMPIRE” is set in the court of King Charles II.
Hi, and thanks for letting me visit your blog today, Karen.
You asked for bits of historical trivia during the time period of my book, THE KING’S VAMPIRE, so I thought I’d share a few tidbits about some of my historical characters, as well as how they related to my characters.
- La Voisin was the reason King Charles sent Elizabeth away from the palace because he didn’t want to be connected with any sort of witchcraft or vampirism. La Voisin, a self-declared witch in France, provided love potions to help the high-born acquire their loves, as well as providing poisons to get rid of inconvenient husbands. Madame Montespan, King Louis XIV’s mistress, was involved with La Voisin’s black masses. Many of the French nobility were run out of France and across the Channel to England, but Montespan was spared. Charles panicked and denounced vampirism. Later, he was again tempted to become a vampire in order to rule his kingdom forever.
- Nell Gwynn, an actress and singer in London, was mistress of Charles Stuart for two decades. She managed to remain his mistress in spite of duchesses and countesses constantly trying to displace her. Unfortunately, Charles never thought to reward her with all the royal honors and financial rewards he gave his higher-born mistresses. But she was the one on his mind when he died because he said to his brother James, “Let not poor Nelly starve.”
- No mistress of King Charles II was more volatile than Barbara Palmer, Countess of Castlemaine. She was his lover before he married. Against the new queen’s wishes, Charles allowed Castlemaine to become lady of the queen’s bedchamber. When the king announced this news, Queen Catherine fainted dead away. Charles, humiliated by Catherine’s behavior, thought it was a ploy to manipulate him. He forced Catherine to accept Castlemaine by ignoring his wife until she accepted his mistress. Castlemaine later became furious when Elizabeth also became a lady of the queen’s bedchamber.
- Darius became a demon slayer by the powers of his former liege, Charlemagne. Darius was with Charlemagne when he was crowned emperor by the Pope on Christmas Day in 800. Darius felt a powerful allegiance to his liege, and he retained a great fear of disappointing his emperor even into the 17th century.
- The psychic vampire demons drained people of their energy and fed on their emotions to fill up holes in their own soulless lives. (I think I had a boss like once) LOL! Psychic vampire demons metaphorically represent the unspeakable evil that, unfortunately, still exists in the world.
Thank you, Brenda. Fascinating tidbits. And I loved Darius. He was so wounded, yet strong and gentle.
Thank you so much for inviting me on your blog today. It was fun. Below is a blurb for my novel, THE KING’S VAMPIRE.
Elizabeth Curran would move heaven and earth to cast aside the bondage of being a vampire. Turned into a vampire by her husband nearly one hundred years ago, she knows that in two months time, her fate will be sealed and she’ll no longer be able to recapture her soul. She can’t believe it’s her destiny to remain a vampire forever.
Darius Einhard, once a vampire, has been proclaimed a demon slayer by his former liege, Charlemagne. He’ll fight any battle to protect Elizabeth from the psychic vampire demons who want to use her in order to turn Charles II of England into a vampire who will serve them for eternity. These psychic vampires are demons come from the abyss of hell. They’ll use Charles’s weakness for beautiful women to entrap him into vampirism and rule the world through him.
In order for Elizabeth to recapture her soul, her forgiveness and redemption must transcend time, and she and Darius must depend on faith and love to battle evil and forever slam shut the abyss opened by the psychic vampire demons.
Below is a link where to buy my book:
Below is my website page:
Follow me on Twitter: